Friday, May 13, 2005

Commandments

Matthew Yglesias and Kevin Drum commit common sense on the topic of public displays of the Ten Commandments and other religious oriented battles in the Culture War. I think they are right, especially since I don't believe that it amounts to an establishment of religion to put up a marble slab with the commandments in the courthouse. Yglesias even goes a bit further:

Now where I'll probably lose your support is when I say that I don't even really
care about the school prayer question, but speaking from experience I was forced
to engage in sectarian Christian prayer in my (non-public) school and it was
fine.
I went to a Catholic school (because my teacher/mother had an idea of how bad the public schools are) and I agree with Yglesias on this. Rote classroom recitation of prayers, or of the Pledge of Allegiance tend to lose their meaning, tend to lose their meaning after a while.

No comments: